Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Why I Hate Japan Right Now

Okay, so here's what happened:

I've been looking for an apartment since the end of March. Instead of going through Sakura House (not a good company to deal with) or any of the usual foreigner channels, I took my friend up on his offer to introduce me to his real estate agent, a formidable and wonderful woman who I will refer to as "Ikuko".

Ikuko, my friend "Steve", and I pounded the pavement for a day, and I found a beautiful apartment in Shin-Okubo, which is the Korean part of town. It was within walking distance from Shinjuku and two stops away from my friends in Takadanobaba. In short, perfect.

In the twenty hours between then and my return to the office the next day, the apartment had been rented. Ikuko did some sleuthing and found another unit in the same building- not as good of a view, on a lower floor, and slightly less unique than the original apartment, but still quite good. I decided to snatch it up.

Three days later, Ikukp called me: the owners were "uncomfortable" renting to foreigners. May I reiterate that this place is in the KOREAN part of town?

The search started again. I must have walked all over Tokyo. I even went looking two days before my kidney infection put me in the hospital for a week. I found a new place in Ogikubo: not as great as the one in Shin-Okubo, but still pretty good. Great location. Tatami mats. An affordable 2DK. Nearly everything I wanted.

Ikukp called me two days after I told her I'd take the place: oh, now they need a Japanese emergency contact, instead of Steve (who speaks perfect Japanese). And not just any Japanese emergency contact- a coworker.

Okay.

So, I had one Japanese coworker I felt I knew well enough to ask for this- my friend "Yuka". I asked her and received a fawning affirmative reply within minutes. All right, set to go! Right? Right???

Weird things started happening. Ikuko would call me, looking for Yuka, or call me into the office to talk about how hard it was to reach Yuka. Meanwhile, my moving date got pushed up by several weeks due to my hospitalization. The whole time, Yuka assured me that everything was fine, even though Ikuko kept telling me that Yuka refused to take any calls and had called HER yelling. Apparently, she was offended that she was asked to give my guarantor company such violently personal information such as the name of her hometown and the phone number of our work's head office. I know, I know, it's like being raped, huh?

Yet, we pressed on. I left for Abu Dhabi, assured that everything would be okay. Ikuko hadn't mentioned anything about Yuka in a few days, and we'd gone over all the necessary documents with no mention of hitches, so while I wasn't exactly feeling confident, I was comforted that things might happen properly.

Oh, and I should mention that I canceled my guesthouse contract and set up my moveout date during this time.

I got back into Tokyo and the next day, Ikuko called with great news: she had convinced the management company to accept Steve as my emergency contact, instead of ephemeral Yua. She did say that she had left Yuka's name on the official paperwork just in case she did come through, as Yuka'd be a more conventional and acceptable contact, being Japanese. Okay, I said.

Last Saturday, less than 24 hours before I was to sign the contract and move in, Ikuko called. The housing company had dropped me and refused the contract.

It seems that Yuka had sent them a multiple-page fax detailing her fees for translation and English teaching services, threatening noncompliance if they weren't paid. I'm not entirely sure what she expected to accomplish with that, nor what in hell she could have meant by doing so, but the management company was so offended and so freaked out that they refused to deal with me if it meant dealing with her.

Ikuko left for vacation the next day, and she won't be back until the seventeenth. I lose my right to live in my guesthouse a week after that.

So now, I don't know what to do. The timing is such that I'm fucked for Tokyo City Apartments and Tokyo Rent, since I work twice as much as usual this week.

I am out of time, I don't feel well enough yet to be dealing with any of this, and I'm fucking tired.


Racism is a beautiful thing.

Note: I have not seen the offending faxed materials, nor have I witnessed any of the alleged yelling. I do not claim that either detail is one-sided; I am merely reporting the facts as I know them.

6 comments:

John said...

I googled "Why I hate Japan" and this was the first result, lol.

I completely understand your pain. I'll ask a question about one of our policies or rules to a coworker, and the usual response is. "-blank stare- Because its a rule." Even after I finally prod the reason out of them for the existance of said rule, when I suggest an alteration or abolishment in favor of, I don't know, intelligence usually, they don't seem to comprehend it.

When it gets to be too much I usually take the route home that passes by the kindergarten, to scare kids (usually just by existing) to relieve the stress.

Anonymous said...

I secod the I hate Japan sentiment...I mistakenly booked 3 months here...had I known how racist the police are I would never have come. 13 Police checks so far, usually in public places ... they love humiliating foreigners just to show the public they are cracking down on foreign crime.

I'll never come back and I will be sure I am extra rude to any Japanese who have the temerity to come to my country.

They are so racist they should simply close their borders to protect their so-called master race.

Anonymous said...

To the posters: I am sorry to hear that all of you have had unfortunate situations in Japan. I am a Japanese-American raised by Japanese parents in America, so I feel I understand both sides. Just keep an open mind and understand that not every country is perfect and that there is so much beauty and goodness that comes from Japan. Also don't target and blame all the Japanese for your experiences - it could have just been that specific person. Best of luck surviving

Anonymous said...

The guys at my Japanese university didn't know how to throw me out fast enough. I survived there for two years before I finally snapped... we're talking racism and injustice 'round teh clock, from both teachers and students, and we're also talking one of the top three "kokuritsu" universities in Japan.

Screw this... I'm going back home next month and will never, ever be back here again.

Anonymous said...

Hey,

When ever I surf on web I never forget to visit this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]greatteacherannazuka.blogspot.com really contains lot of useful information. Let me tell you one thing guys, some time we really forget to pay attention towards our health. Let me present you with one fact here. Recent Scientific Research presents that about 60% of all United States grownups are either obese or weighty[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Hence if you're one of these people, you're not alone. Infact many among us need to lose 10 to 20 lbs once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now the question is how you are planning to have quick weight loss? You can easily lose with with little effort. Some improvement in of daily activity can help us in losing weight quickly.

About me: I am blogger of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also health expert who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under hard training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for effortless weight loss.

Unknown said...

I have lived in Japan twice in two different regions. Tokyo (most of Honshu) is pretty racist. Once we all went to the theater and they had a student price. All of my Japanese friends got the discounted but not me. "Japanese Students Only" she said. I even showed her my damn ID Card. I also lived in a small town in Kyushu and liked it a lot. The people were mostly just fascinated by me and not racist at all. Although I took a Japanese history coarse I couldn't believe the shit that professor said. I feel sorry for the Ainu people.